Hello Dear Readers: I embarked on a harrowing journey. It was to me anyway. ‘Twas more of a dare to be honest.
Because we live in a small town, random things tend to trend quite easily and quickly. Lia Sophia party (via the talented Lindsey Edwards who just went to Paris because of her sales!) caused our town to be bedecked in bling, gold, silver, and jewels that would make Solomon blush. 31 parties (courtesy of a dear friend Liz Getz) have helped us all become organized, use less bags and become coordinated with style. And we do this by having parties every 6 weeks or so. We budget for them. We look forward to them.
Way back in Little House on the Prairie Days, neighbors got together and visited with each other during Barn raising (or House raising) days, or during Harvest (farmers all got together as a group and took turns harvesting each others fields) or the women would join at one home and have a party and have a Quilting Bee.
I think we have similar needs to join together and have a party even though we don’t have the same limitations as folks of old (it no longer takes 3 days travel by oxen to visit the closest neighbor!); because of schedules, life and other commitments, sometimes it is hard to get all of our friends together and visit. What better way than to have a Lia Sophia party, or a 31 party, each of us helping our friend and hostess get to her goal of free product while taking advantage of sales for our own benefit.
However, that need for community and great personal need deals means we have also started another trend (courtesy of two other dear friends, sisters-in-love, Sonia Dingman and Linsdsey Brown). Couponing!
I tried my hand at it last week. What a dismal failure. Remember the days when you could double coupon? Gone.
Remember when you could add one special to your Safeway card and then bring a Mfgr coupon and get an amazing deal? No Longer.
So now what? Is there any way to save money?
And So Begins my great journey for the rest of the year, to help myself and to help you. How does one save dollars (not just cents!) in a practical and reasonable way, living in a city, living in the suburbs, or living out in the Boondocks.
This was my start for the week, and I highly encourage you to check this out. I am already a great fan of Amazon (I’m a Prime member!) because of the streaming videos (better than Netflix at this point who knew?) and the ability to have 2 day shipping on products even though I’m an hour from any major town (the UPS man has a steady stream of packages to our home).
So please check out the program called Amazon Mom. What this does is to add 5% to the 15% max on the subscribe and save program for a total of 20%.
Because I already have several products we use on a regular basis come to our house once a month through that program (at 15% discount and free shipping….meaning I save gas money!), when we joined the program with our qualifying grand baby (your baby, expected child, grand baby all count) we now receive 20% off those same products (see Amazon Subscribe and Save for the complete list).
These are my efforts for this week:
Amazon original: $159.38 for Sustainably caught tuna (12 cans); Celcius sport drink; vitamins; baby wipes; feminine hygiene; coconut water; Mini Wheats & Olay Body Wash.
This month I would have spent (Between WalMart and Costco): $200.81
Amazon Mom with $2 coupon Olay Body Wash: $127.50
Savings: $73.31 + $72.80 gas/wear/tear on vehicle (I use IRS business rate for mileage…$0.56/mile * 130 miles round trip) = $146.11 savings total or
Truly, that wear and tear savings on my rig really ads up over the year (oil changes, tires, struts, breaks etc etc); it is not just gas cost.
Plus, did I mention how easy (and on budget!) it was to make up my list, check out and remain organized while cooking lunch, at home, watching the PGA tour Sunday afternoon? Your valuable head space doesn’t get more respected than that.
So there you go. I hope that is helpful, practical and useful for the week. Very best and Happy Monday!
Photo credit: stockmonkeys.com